ANN ARBOR, MI, USA, Jul 31, 2020 – CIMdata, Inc., the leading global PLM strategic management consulting and research firm, announces the release of the CIMdata PLM Industry Analysis Report, the fifth of five modules of the CIMdata 2020 PLM Market Analysis Report Series. The MAR Series provides detailed information and in-depth analysis on the worldwide PLM market during 2019. It contains analyses of major trends and issues, revenues of leading PLM providers, and revenue analyses for geographical regions, industry sectors, and historical and projected data on market growth.
All industries saw growth in PLM spending in 2019, as shown in the figure below. CIMdata forecasts continued growth in all sectors during the five-year forecast period.
PLM spending is greatest in automotive & other transportation, mechanical machinery and heavy equipment, and aerospace & defense. It is lower in the process industries and utilities. However, there are some good process-focused PLM solutions available, and they are becoming more important with growing concerns about food safety, particularly in emerging economies. Growth in PLM for medical devices is driven by stringent compliance requirements that can vary by country, something that PLM strategies and enabling solutions can address. All industries are being affected by the trend toward smart, connected products, either directly or because of the effects of the Internet of Things (IoT) and the drive toward Industry 4.0, an initiative that originated in Germany, that has inspired programs and spending in countries around the world. CIMdata believes there are good opportunities in all segments as corporate management continues to become more aware of the value of PLM and its positive impacts on both the top and bottom lines of a business. During 2019, comprehensive providers continued to expand their efforts to deliver more industry-focused and functionally-packaged solutions that are easier and less expensive to acquire and deploy. This is fueled, in part, by continued mergers and acquisitions activity in most PLM segments. The global COVID-19 pandemic is already having a significant impact on the PLM market in 2020, and CIMdata’s forecasts include consideration of its continuing effects in 2020 and beyond. Different industries will see different impacts, and this is discussed in the report.
“The global PLM market grew strongly in 2019 at 7.7%, just under our forecast of 8.9%,” states Stan Przybylinski, CIMdata’s Vice President. “The leading PLM solution providers continue to consolidate their portfolios after years of acquisitions. Revenue increases in 2019 are due, in part, to solution providers expanding their footprint at their existing clients. Industrial companies are embracing digitalization strategies and using PLM to enable highly collaborative, distributed, flexible design and manufacturing environments to help better manage the entire product or plant lifecycle. This ability is critical to all industries and only becomes more complex as smart, connected products must act as parts of larger systems. CIMdata believes that while the COVID-19 pandemic is a serious threat to global commerce, the underlying trends driving changes in product development, manufacturing, and in-service support will continue to drive investments in 2020 and the years that follow.”
The CIMdata PLM Market Analysis Report Series comprises five modules:
- The CIMdata 2020 Executive PLM Market Report provides an overview of CIMdata’s complete global analysis. It includes key charts on PLM market investment statistics through 2019, forecasts of investments for 2020 through 2024, and a summary of PLM solution providers’ performance in 2019.
- The CIMdata 2020 PLM Industry Review and Trends Report is mainly qualitative and focuses on key issues facing the global PLM ecosystem of solution providers and end-user organizations. It highlights changes that occurred in 2019, what effects those changes may have in the short and medium terms, and what is on the horizon in the years to come.
- The CIMdata 2020 PLM Market and Solution Provider Analysis Report details measures of and forecasts for the overall PLM market and its key segments in 2019, including Tools, cPDm, and Digital Manufacturing. The Tools section has additional details on sub-segments, including MCAD, NC, S&A, EDA, and AEC. It also includes CIMdata’s estimates of PLM solution provider revenues in these segments and sub-segments for 2020 through 2024.
- The CIMdata 2020 PLM Market Geographic Analysis Report provides an additional view of the 2019 market results, by major geography. The report offers CIMdata’s 2019 estimates and market forecasts for PLM and the major PLM market segments for the Americas, EMEA, and Asia-Pacific. Also, the report includes estimates and forecasts for the cPDm segment within specific European and Asia-Pacific countries and regions.
- The CIMdata 2020 PLM Market Industry Analysis Report provides an industry segmentation view of the 2019 market results. The report provides CIMdata’s 2019 estimates and market forecasts for PLM and cPDm for ten different industry sectors: aerospace and defense, automotive and other transportation, electronics/telecommunications, fabrication and assembly, process-packaged goods, process—petrochemical, utilities, construction, infrastructure, and shipbuilding.
The CIMdata PLM MAR Series is available as a five-module set, or each module can be purchased separately. Those who buy MAR volumes can also purchase Excel workbooks with the complete annual analysis at an extra fee. Parts of the MAR series are available as part of CIMdata’s Community Memberships. CIMdata also publishes country-specific MAR reports for Brazil, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Russia, South Korea, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Further details and pricing information about the reports and Community Memberships are available at www.cimdata.com.