ANN ARBOR, MI, USA, Aug 23, 2023 – CIMdata, Inc., the leading global PLM strategic management consulting and research firm, announces the release of the CIMdata PLM Industry Analysis Report, the fifth of five modules of the CIMdata 2023 Market Analysis Report (MAR) Series. The MAR Series provides detailed information and in-depth analysis of the worldwide PLM market during 2022. It contains analyses of major trends and issues; revenues of leading PLM solution providers; and revenue analyses for geographic regions, industry sectors, and historical and projected data on market growth.
“The PLM market grew to US$66.6 billion overall in 2022, 10% growth over 2021, just under our forecast of 10.1%,” said Mr. Stan Przybylinski, CIMdata’s Vice President.
All industries saw growth in Mainstream PLM spending in 2022, as shown in the figure below. CIMdata forecasts continued growth in all industries during the five-year forecast period.
PLM spending is greatest in automotive & other transportation, mechanical machinery and heavy equipment, and aerospace & defense. It is lower in the process industries and utilities. However, some good process-focused PLM solutions are available, and they are becoming more important with growing concerns about food safety, particularly in emerging economies. Growth in PLM for medical devices is driven by stringent compliance requirements that can vary by country, something that PLM strategies and enabling solutions can address. All industries are being affected by the trend toward smart, connected products, either directly or because of the effects of the Internet of Things (IoT) and the drive toward Industry 4.0. CIMdata believes there are good opportunities in all segments as corporate management continues to become more aware of the value of PLM and its positive impacts on a business’s top and bottom lines.
“The leading PLM solution providers continue consolidating their portfolios after years of acquisitions,” said Mr. Przybylinski. “M&A in the PLM Economy continued strongly in 2022. CIMdata tracked 185 acquisitions during the year. There were different results by industry, but CIMdata believes that the underlying trends, like Industry 4.0 and the move to smart, connected products have only gotten stronger and expects investment to continue in 2023 and beyond. Industrial companies are embracing digitalization strategies and using PLM to enable highly collaborative, distributed, flexible design and manufacturing environments to help better manage the entire product or plant lifecycle. This is critical to all industries and only becomes more complex as smart, connected products must act as parts of larger systems. Interest in cloud-based solutions grew substantially during 2022 with our industrial consulting clients.”
The CIMdata PLM Market Analysis Report Series comprises five modules:
- The CIMdata 2023 Executive PLM Market Report provides an overview of CIMdata’s complete global analysis. It includes key charts on PLM market investment statistics through 2022, forecasts of investments for 2023 through 2027, and a summary of PLM solution providers’ performance in 2022.
- The CIMdata 2023 PLM Industry Review and Trends Report is mainly qualitative and focuses on key issues facing the global PLM Ecosystem of solution providers and end user organizations. It highlights changes that occurred in 2022, what affects those changes may have in the short and medium terms, and what is on the horizon in the years to come.
- The CIMdata 2023 PLM Market and Solution Provider Analysis Report details measures of and forecasts for the overall PLM market and its key segments in 2022, including Tools, cPDm, and Digital Manufacturing. The Tools section has additional details on sub-segments, including MCAD, NC, S&A, EDA, and AEC. It also includes CIMdata’s estimates of PLM solution provider revenues in these segments and sub-segments for 2023 through 2027.
- The CIMdata 2023 PLM Market Geographic Analysis Report provides an additional view of the 2022 market results, by major geography. CIMdata’s 2023 estimates and market forecasts for PLM and the major PLM market segments are provided for the Americas, EMEA, and Asia-Pacific. In addition, the report includes estimates and forecasts for the cPDm segment within specific European and Asia-Pacific countries and regions.
- The CIMdata 2023 PLM Market Industry Analysis Report provides an industry segmentation view of the 2022 market results. CIMdata’s estimates and market forecasts for PLM and cPDm are provided for sixteen industry sectors: aerospace and defense; automotive and other transportation; electronics; telecommunications; medical devices; mechanical machinery and heavy equipment; consumer products; retail, footwear, and apparel; process/petrochemical; pharmaceuticals; food & beverage; utilities; construction; infrastructure; shipbuilding; and other.
The CIMdata PLM Market Analysis Report Series is available as a five-module set or each module can be purchased separately. Selected modules are also available as part of the CIMdata Community Memberships. Further details and pricing information about the report and Community Memberships are available at www.cimdata.com.